Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 17 May 2013

Camino: robberies

Those who have been following this blog know that I had a terrible robbery on day 1 of hiking Via de la Plata from Seville.

I have met lots if people travelling alone, male and female, so I was unlucky but I do recommend hiking the southern sections with company.

However, I'm not the only one to be robbed. I recently met a pilgrim who said she came through on that same first stage as me (to Guillena), some 4 days prior, just behind a couple who had also been robbed by 2 men in balaclavas with knives (yes, a couple... 2 people together!). She wished she'd thought to tell others in the forum and guide as I had.

The night following the robbery a Dutch man had told me in that in the Guillena Albergue he had laid awake at night when he realised someone was coming through the window. He clapped his hand loudly, the intruder left, and he got up and closed the window. Unfortunately he didn't tell anyone in Guillena, but there was no hospitelero when we all left. I later heard that the following night a toiletry bag was stolen from that hostel. (Really, what a nuisance! I'd be disappointed to lose my toiletry bag and the thief should be disappointed to have it.)

Later I met a guy from Belgium who had his backpack stolen from the hostel while he slept in Castilblanco. He caught a bus back to the next big town (Camas), and bought a new one and some new things and continued. Fortunately he said that he had a lot of things out of his pack so they didn't steal everything.

And in Caceres, the day I left, I was sitting in a bar, at the bar, having breakfast (note, I haven't taken up 7am drinking, breakfast is eaten in bars in Spain). I had casually put my bags down. Then I sensed trouble. A young person had come in behind me with the pretence of going to the cigarette vending machine. But I really think she'd been going to snatch one of my bags, so I got up and moved them both to under my guard. She left without cigarettes or bags.

Still, it should be disappointing for me and the thief should my backpack or my food bag be stolen. Not a single thing in either should be of value to anybody else. No electronic gear, no money. Just dirty worn out clothes, and an old toiletry bag inside an old daypack that's getting holes. And an old food bag has opened packets of dried fruits and nuts, tea bags, and water.

Two thieves have already turned down the contents of my bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!