Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Camino: Day 14, reflecting on WOMAD

Sunday became a rest day for me. The German man had decided to walk and the German woman decided to rest her ankle problems for another day. It seemed reasonable to me to wait and go with her. In the end the man decided to wait too.

During the WOMAD festival I'd discovered my knee still hurt too much: I couldn't dance! So, this is why I chose a rest day. (Plus I'd had to stay up past midnight to see the Australian band 'the Barons of Tang', who were interesting...)

There are a few things I'd like to tell you about the festival, things that caught my attention:
Staying up: No matter what age a Spaniard is, they can and will stay up late, really late. I mean at home and elsewhere children are in bed by 8 or 9, and old people seem to choose this too. But in Spain I've seen toddlers and kids of all ages out (with parents) at midnight. And people beyond retirement ages too.

Haircuts: maybe it was the crowd attracted to WOMAD but Spain has more bad haircuts than anywhere I've ever been. Mullets, rats tails, undercuts, shaved off one side, dreadlocks of varying sizes on the same head, wacky fringes. This is on both guys and girls. But I like the spirit of it, I'm wondering if I should get an undercut and a wacky fringe?

Booze: apparently BYO to the festival isn't a problem. Young adults carried in 5 litres water bottles filled with wine which would be mixed with Coca-cola. They drank this from the biggest cups I've ever seen. See the picture below which shows the situation: almost everybody brought booze in.

The Spanish certainly know how to make a great fiesta!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!