Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Camino: day 16; with Donkey

When I arrived at the hostel with the dog following I was pleased to see that Stefan was there with his donkey, 'Chico'.

I had met Stefan in Seville at the backpackers and he had left a few days prior to me to collect his newly purchased donkey and start his camino. I had run into him again in Aljucen and Caceres. And he'd looked like he was having a hard time.

Travelling with a donkey is a traditional method of doing the camino. But not an easy option at all. It means travelling at whatever pace the donkey wishes, camping out most the time, and missing any city sightseeing.

Stefan asked me if I'd help him for a while the next morning and I said I'd be pleased too. He said the donkey progressed better with one person up front on the rope and one behind.

I had also wondered if Stefan was really as okay as he said he was, so I wanted to have the opportunity to see for myself.

Ha! Chico and Stefan had rested a day at the lake side hostel and had passed 2 nights there (I guess when a hostel will let you park your donkey you take the chance). And Chico, who usually is apparently hard to move was in a hurry. If I couldn't keep up with the men in my first days, I certainly couldn't keep up with Chico!

At first Stefan had given the rope to me and I'd been pulled at a quick pace up the slope from the hostel. I realised I was hurting my knee again. I asked Stefan to take the rope.

I soon was being left behind. Stefan turned to say "I have to go with him, Buen Camino" (Buen camino = good walk). And off they went. I was disappointed, but I had tried.

Later in the hike I was caught up by The French man and Perrina (the dog), and so I was able to ask if he had any dog experience (fortunately he has a little), and give some advice. Then we met Stefan and Chico in the next town.

I then diverted from the camino by taking a bus to Plasencia. And yep, I did hurt my knee a little trying to keep up with the donkey. So now I'm wondering what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!