Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 11 May 2013

Camino: Day 10: half and half

I hiked!
This morning I hiked with 2 self proclaimed slow walkers, both men. After a while Juan decided that Miguel and I walked too slow, and left us, but didn't get so far ahead as we caught up with him while he rested. Miguel has 5 screws in his hip to slow him down. That's how slow I'm going!

The walk wasn't so enjoyable for me, my leg and knee are hurting, but I'm not in pain like I was 5 days ago. I recon it's okay.

Aside from my personal hiking troubles it was a beautiful and easy walk: we saw Roman ruins (Aqueducts and more), an ancient roman dam (still in use, in the past the aqueducts were used to take the water to town), and more farms and wildflowers.

Most people setting out from Merida today, including my 2 companions, seemed to be aiming to do 2 stages. I decided the one, which was 13-15kms, was sufficient.

It was a rather early start. Not that any of us had planned it to be, but the Italian in the bed next to mine had an alarm go off at 5am. Then, apparently he hadn't prepared (like one should if going early), rustled his stuff for 30 minutes, and then .... Lay back down in the bed for another 20 minutes!

Despite that I beat the Italians to the end of today's 2nd stage! I took the bus. And I'm not sharing a room with them or anyone else tonight. There were only top bunks left, and without ladders, so I told the hospitalero about my knee and suddenly found myself in a private room.

I hiked the first stage, then I had thought I'd stay in that town the night and relax in the Roman baths which are just €5 for pilgrims. But then Miguel suggested I take the bus to the next town to meet him and Juan again.

I looked at the guide which had 20kms for that stage, maybe too much still for my leg, and decided to do the Roman baths and then take a bus.

The baths were so lovely. I'm very pleased I stopped and relaxed for a while. I feel better for it.

Remarkably when I left the baths I met a pilgrim who'd left Seville a few days before me, and is hiking with a donkey.

Tonight's stay is in a charity house "Esclavos de Maria y de los Pobres" (Slaves of Maria and the Poor), run by monks. There will be a benediction at 6.45pm (I've decided that it'd be in the spirit of things to go), and a pilgrims dinner afterwards. Lights out 9pm, and not on again before 7am. For all this donations are requested. It's all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!