Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Camino: packing light: under 6kgs!

This article is to help others with their packing.

Lots of the other pilgrims asked me how I was travelling with such a light pack. I wondered how they'd made theirs so heavy!
Of course, I have years of travel experience and time in a travel outfitter shop to help my expertise, but still I'm proud that I had less that 6kgs in my pack (it would have been less if it wasn't so cold too!).
It is said that you should only carry no more than 10% of your own body weight, so even I was carrying a bit "too much". However a lot of people had more than 10kgs, even though most of them do annual pilgrimages.

So, what did I take?
1 day pack and a satchel.
2 sets of clothes, with layering ability for warmth, I could wash what I hiked in that day at the end of the hiking and it would be dry before bedtime to re-wear the next day.

The sets included:
2 Bras
2 Singlets/vests for underwear
2 Long sleeved fitted thermal shirts*
2 Long sleeved, collared shirts. (One is rated for sun protection, I hiked in it every day. The other is a silk cotton blend, light. Both dry quickly after hand washing.)
2 pairs trousers (zip off were recommended, so I took a pair but preferred to hike in the others as the leg zipper irritated my skin).

Also:
1 set PJs. (Actually long sleeved trousers and shirt that I could wear out if wanted).
3 pairs socks
3 pairs panties (quick drying)
1 pair thermal leggings*
1 sweater
1 Hat: broad brimmed & waterproof
1 rain poncho (reusable type with clips... I could use it and some cord to make a shelter if needed. )
1 pair 'Croc' sandals (I really like crocs for travel, there are lots of different styles. I can wear mine casually, or in the shower. When using shared bathrooms you should wear water suitable shoes in the shower to avoid getting fungus infections). Crocs are also soft underfoot at the end of the day.
1 swimsuit (for thermal baths)

1 silk sleep sheet (everybody else had sleeping bags but there was always at least a few blankets available to those who asked).
1 silk scarf. You need a pillow slip! But European pillows aren't the same shape as Aussie ones, so I wrapped the pillow in my scarf. Silk is light (and they say it keeps you younger!)
1 sarong (not needed really)

Toiletry bag: really basic and obvious stuff. Less obvious: Shampoo bar (takes less space and won't spill), multi purpose soap (for skin and laundry, I'm told I could use it for hair too...). Sunscreen (but not much as I wear long sleeves, long trousers and a hat). Moisturiser (I had oil for my hair which I used on my skin too).

Towel: I don't have a big towel. Just this: a face washer (flannel) that I use in the shower to clean with, then I use it to wipe off excess water from my body. Then I have tiny (like 30cm squared) thin 'N-rit' travel towel to dry off the rest. I have a second one of these for my feet and crocs.

1 Water bottle, 1litre. And a disposable 500 ml bottle too. (I believe that if it's at all true that these shouldn't be reused because they breakdown, then we shouldn't be drinking from them at all).
1 sunglasses.
1 basic first aid kit: things for injuries.
1 a length of cord (didn't need it)

Smart phone. On this I had the guides (Apps) to the camino, Spanish-English dictionary, podcasts to listen too, books to read. I didn't carry any paperwork other than a small notebook and map.

Note: I always pay a lot and buy good hiking socks, as I believe that socks are as important as shoes for not getting blisters. I didn't get any blisters, but it was the number one complaint of other hikers. 1 pair of socks had individual toes, these were my favourite for hiking.

* I had intended to throw away the thermal layers as soon as the weather was warm enough.... But it didn't stay warm long enough.

I saw a pilgrim with a hair dryer: very unnecessary!

Advice: Test the hand washing and drying before you go - you want fast drying layers: you want to carry less items, lighter and more effective items, and you certainly don't want to be carrying items that don't dry on time (you won't be able to wear them then next day and wet clothes weigh more!)

Sun protection: I saw quite a few pilgrims with severe sunburn, some with blisters. Take the sun seriously! I prefer to wear long sleeves, sunscreen makes me hot, makes dirt stick to the skin, and sweats off and has to be reapplied.

I hope this helps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!