Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 1 March 2013

The confusing Indian head waggle

I think that if you've ever seen an Indian you know the head waggle. It's so confusing. To me it looks mostly like our shaking our head to say "no", but it doesn't mean no, nor yes either. To the best that I can figure out it is something like "righteo", or a reluctant "okay".

At any rate when I order food and I get a head waggle I'm left wondering if I'll be fed. Often it is the answer given to a question that needs more information. In this case it might mean "I don't know" or "I don't care".

But mostly it seems to mean 'righteo'.

Today I just realized that I too am confusing them. When they offer services (fruit sellers, taxi drivers, tea wallers), I shake my head for "no", I guess they think I'm saying "righteo", and so this might explain why these people linger so long. (As well as my white skin denoting fabulous wealth... that's their assumption anyway).

It's almost funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!