Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Thursday 7 March 2013

Thank you to the first rickshaw for ripping me off!

When I first arrived in Ahmedabad a kind local lady who had befriended me on the bus arranged a rickshaw for me and sent me following him to his rickshaw, calling out "be sure he resets the meter to zero" as I disappeared around the corner.

I clambered into the rickshaw, always an ungraceful action when I have both a backpack and front pack, and promptly forgot the last bit of advice from my new friend. I had just finished a sleepless night on a 15 hour overnight bus so my ability to remember a single thing was clearly removed. I was also unfamiliar with the new system here, so I couldn't even recognise a meter.

When we arrived I asked what I owed, the man indicated a meter which said 365 and pulled out a chart to establish that the bill was to be 160 rupees. I knew it was too much, but it was an affordable error and I just wanted to find a room. Besides, what could I do? I paid.

I figured he had either a) not reset the meter at the start (it's distance based), b) had a dodgy chart or c) driven me the long way ... after all, we had crossed the river twice (see I was tired but still paying attention).

I could, in future, fix the first option by demanding a reset at the start. I requested a copy of the chart from my hotel reception for future trips. And the third option... Well, not much I could do other than to try to know where I was going to start with.

So, on future trips I insisted on travelling with a meter and it being reset. My first journey was offered by drivers for Rs150 but when I got the meter used the bill was 50. On my second and subsequent trips the driver just told me the meter reading in clear hope that I would pay that amount. And, I probably would have if the first driver had-of reset the meter and done the same (and I would have thought 'gee, rickshaws are pricey here'). But thanks to him, I had a chart. So, despite language barriers I was able to look at the meter, see 142, see this meant 64 rupees, and pay the guy 70.

So thanks driver number one, you've saved me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!