Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Sunday 12 August 2012

Vancouver

I landed in Vancouver mid afternoon. My friend had a day and a half of work left before her leave started and so I was to spend a day in the big city before heading over to Victoria to meet with her. This first day had beautiful weather... and in the entire trip I had another 2 days of great weather. The other days were filled with patchy rain.

I checked into a HI hostel in the Westend of Vancouver, took a map, and headed to walk off my 20 hours of flight time in Stanley park. It was lovely. It was a Thursday (19 July), and I was astonished how many people were on the beaches. I walked the coast of Stanley park for about half of it, and then cut back through the middle, where some locals introduced me to the edible Salmon berries, and I later found some racoons.

The next morning I bused to the University to check out the museum of Anthropology and learn more about the Canadian indigenous culture (First Nations people). I was great, and I learnt a lot. I was particularly impressed by the construction of bentwood boxes.
Later I took the ferry to Victoria to meet Lauren.
This Laughing men public art exhibition near English Bay Vancouver is a lot of fun!


The First Nations people had big beautiful serving dishes for their feasts.


Bentwood boxes. Steam the timber, cut the corners to be so they will be foldable, and stitch the final join. love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!