Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Pow Wow in Kamloops

Travelling to a place like Canada is a bit strange for me because I usually like to see cultures that are pretty far removed from my own... and Canadians aren't that different. So, I was pretty happy to find out that there was a big Pow Wow happening on the weekend in Kamloops.

Wikipedia defines a Pow-wow, Powwow or pow wow as a gathering of Native American People. This one had people from as far away as Colorado.





It was colourful! The music was not very good. But I loved it. I chatted to Indians - and one of them told me, when I asked about saying "First Nations people" rather than "Indians" (I asked because she kept saying Indian), that "you can say Indian, we are Indians". So if it's rude, I'm very sorry ... I don't mean to be... but I was told I could. I tried Haddock (like a fried bread, if that was a good example I'm not doing it again).

And finally there was sunshine and it was warm. (the locals said hot, but it wasn't really....)

And that was the end of my holiday. At 3am the next morning I told a 5 hour bus to Vancouver, 2 trains across town to the airport, waited something like 6 hours for my flight, then 2 x 10 hour flights, and a 3 hours wait in the middle, an airtrain and a walk, and finally I was home. and very tired. but, at least it was warmer in the winter here than the summer in British Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!