Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 28 August 2012

onwards to Mt Robson

After Houston, we did kind of make a bee-line for Mt Robson (the highest and most prominent point of the Canadian Rockies). My travel companion was quite determined that we had to get there early to get a camping spot before the long weekend - so we arrived early on Thursday morning (and the place filled up late Friday night).
We stopped on the way in Prince George (because I was determined to get a bus ticket for Kamloops to Vancouver and accommodation in Kamloops), but I thought the place was pretty uninspiring so we kept going.

(Note, originally we had been going to go North to Monkman Provincial Park, to see the massive waterfalls... but we were running out of time and although I could have flown back, it would have left my friend alone to drive back a long distance)

When we got to Mt Robson my travel companion was so keen to get a camp site (before we missed out), but the first thing I wanted to do was check out the Grizzly bear situation. I have a friend who was also travelling in the same area and had passed through Mt Robson a few days earlier and photographed a Grizzly crossing the highway and put the picture on Facebook. So, whereas on the other nights my companion had been afraid of the bears and slept in the car, this time I wanted to know there were no bears so that I wouldn't get left alone in the tent. The lovely people in the visitor centre said there was nothing to worry about. Good.

After we set up the camp, we headed across the border into the province of Alberta to Jasper National Park. The village is sweet, very touristy, and quite lovely. We looked in some shops, and then headed out to Maligne Canyon, which was a close drive from town.
We were glad we went, as it was a spectacular rush of rapids. I read how a missionary had named them using a French word for evil, because he had trouble getting his horse across... I never did figure out where he might have taken the horse across.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!