Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 28 August 2012

the cruelty of milling

Next morning, we headed to Houston, home of Canfor - the worlds largest timber mill. The tours (can I call them tours? they were more of a lead walk through by 2 young people, from the visitor centre I think, who were mostly unable to answer any questions), reveal an impressive operation.

The are hardly any staff operating the round the clock shifts. The machines are pretty much computer operated, and the staff seemed to mostly keep an eye of things. Computers would decide the most efficient use of every tree trunk and it would be conveyed on to be milled accordingly.

It made quite impression on me... please don't lock me away for my thoughts, but I found it quite horrible, like an abattoir with carcasses of what was living-not-so-long-ago being conveyed to uses mostly unnecessary. I left feeling shocked and horrified.



From there it must have been mostly just driving... because I didn't take anymore photo's aside from this beside the road shot until we visited Jasper the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!