Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Life in Iquitos Peru... the hard bed, mosquitos and dirt.

   As mentioned in other posts, while I was volunteering at the manatee centre, I was lucky enough to be hosted by a Peruvian family. These people weren't rich, but they showed me tremendous generousity. The wouldn't let me pay for my keep and fed me two meals a day. I found that the best way for me to contribute was to head to the supermarket and buy food for the entire family. My purchases were limited, as they tend to shope daily, but by buying rice and sugar and such I'm sure I helped. When I left I bought a big hamper of groceries and left it with them on the very last day. They seemed delighted. These people usually buy for today... a cup of rice today, another tomorrow, what meat and vegetables are needed for today are bought today, and no more than two rolls of toilet paper at a time. Most dry goods were bought from the convenience store next store.
    Living with them was very interesting. Had I been paying for accomodation I would have wanted something more comfortable and cleaner, but, I just reminded myself that many people successfully live like this (or worse) their entire lives, and these people seemed healthy enough. And I covered the bed with my hammock (thick cotton barrier), my sleeping bag (a little softness), and covered me with my silk sleep sheet (to keep the mosquitoes away). Even the cat realised my bedding was better, and I had daily fights with the cat who I would find spawled across my bed. There was no way of keeping the cat out.
   The families generousity wan't just financial, they treated me well too and the mother said she would miss the only person who ever offered to wash up (and would then wash up) after a meal (peruvian culture seems to have their children not having to raise a finger, despite all 3 being over 15 years old). I hope I never have to sleep so uncomfortably for a whole month again unless the scenery is spectacular, but I really appreciate what they did for me. Overall it was a worthwhile experience.

2 comments:

  1. so .. what is the daily lifee? do they farm every day shop every day ? or do they just sit and wait for the day to pass thanks ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The father would go to work, the kids would go to study (school, University thesis), and the Mother stayed home and sold some things from home (she did some tailoring and sold ice). As mentioned, daily groceries were bought every day, many from the convenience shop next store.
    Home duties (cooking and cleaning) were left completely to the mother. It was vastly different from my own upbringing.... I went to school but always had chores at home, and from the age of 15 I had an after school job.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!