Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Monday 19 July 2010

Flirtations in Peru

   Written 06 July, 2010, for later publishing.

   I am beginning to wonder.... if, as a latina girl, you have a childhood of watching your father ogle other women and flirt when given the chance, then, when you grow up and get married and your husband does this, is it all ok? Does it make him all the more the good man, just like your Daddy? Men seem to ogle and flirt here no matter whose company they are in, hassling the blonde chica might be a kind of sport.

   At work (volunteering in the Manatee project) I have had a dilema. On the weekend I realised that one of my work mates, engaged to another workmate, is cheating on her. I told her today... Ouch! But I realised that she was already fighting with him, didn´t fully trust him, and hadn´t worn the ring the last two days, so I asked her about that and she said they 'separated', so I thought, well, better now than later. And I would hate to see a friend marry a scum bag if I knew he was a scum bag and didn´t at least tell her. I like her, I didn´t like him from the start.... I tried to for her sake, but since Sunday I don´t feel the need to try anymore.
   However, I do think that she is one of the most valuable parts of the project, so I also let the head boss know how fantastic she is. I hope she doesn't hate me!

Continued 18 July 2010... (I have left Iquitos now)
   The above mentioned disclosure to my friend and workmate had a big affect on me. I was horrified to learn later that night and the next day that almost everybody else had known about the whole affair. They all felt bad about it, but wanted to say anything. What crappy friends! So, already sick and tired of being hassled by latinos, I now really feel that very few of them can be trusted with a heart, and so I just wanted to get away from them altogether and be someplace without latinos (the men this is... latino for guys, latina for gals). Two weeks later I have left Iquitos, but I am still in Peru. My feelings aren't quite as strong, but I still feel the need to get away.
   A bonus for me did come out of it, one of my other work mates had continually told me that he always wanted a Gringa girlfriend and that (on hearing that I'm quite the dancer) than he'd like to go dancing with me, but just us, no one else... well, he stopped his suggestions as soon as I dobbed on the other guy. Whew! that was a relief.
   In answer to all those who ask would I like to marry a latino... at this point they're looking like a bad option. (Aside from the fact that they mostly seem to be incredibly clucky).

3 comments:

  1. for things like that nobody say something in your blog. U say only gossips, is not ur life! and u think that every latin guy is like u say? It will be very difficult that u get any guy to married for ur gossips

    ReplyDelete
  2. No actually, I don't think that all Latino guys are like that. But I have been hassled a lot, probably by the wrong types. I'm sure there are some great latin guys. And anyway the blog is 'As Ali Sees it'... I'm trying to be honest and tell it as I see it. And gossip implies that I heard something and passed it on, but I witnessed everything mentioned, so it was more than just heresay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali I totally agree with you!!! I also found that most of the men I met (latinos) were either married or had girlfriends but wanted me too!! You had to be really careful!!! I know that it is horrible to say these things and that for a man who isn't like that, sadly he gets "tarred with the same brush"!! Unless he can convince you .... like my Jesus did and then "Yum"!!! Bye now Maree K

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!