Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 23 July 2010

When will I be home?

   When I left Australia last year I had planned to travel indefinately, with no planned date for return. I bought a return ticket, because the price was two thirds that of a one way ticket, and crossing borders can be easier if you have something that says you are going home. The return ticket date could also be changed (for a fee), so it makes a handy safety net.
   Last time I had planned to travel indefinately I was in Central America. One day I told my family that I intended to keep heading south and that I wouldn't be home anytime soon. I reckon it must have been about 1 week later that I received 2 terrible emails. One from my Mum saying "Call home immediately" and another from my brother saying "Don't call Mum, call me". I called my brother. Dad had had a stroke and I had to get home. I made it from a hostel outside of Trujillo, Honduras, to Toowoomba, Queensland Australia, in 36 hours.
   Dad's condition was really really bad, but we put him in rehab, and although he didn't want to be there, he made a fantastic recovery. I would say that now he is about 95-98% of his former self.
   This time, when I left, I told him to behave himself. So, a couple of months ago I get a message from him saying he is getting married and I should come home for the wedding. I already had plans for the intended date, so I told him I won't be there... and anyway, I told him too behave himself. Ok, he said, well you better be home for my 60th next year. OK, I agreed.
   So, here's my plan. I am heading to the USA next month to travel with my Mum. From there I will come back to South America, but this time to Buenos Aires (because I really want to try the Tango). And then, I have changed my return flight for the very latest date possible, and I will be home, in Australia, in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!