Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Cliff climbing at Punta Ninfas

Last night we stopped at a place called Punta Ninfas. Around here we are still on the coast of Argentina, and about as far south as Hobart is in Tasmania (Australia). Punta Ninfas looks directly across at Penisula Valdes, where we had been whale watching last week. 

But, although it's possible, we didn't see Whales from Punta Ninfas, just Elephant Seals, sea lions, and sea birds. The Elephant Seals make great photographic material (I'll upload some in a few weeks), and when they are active (ie not just lying on the beach), they are interesting to watch. 

I was sitting at the top of the tall cliff where we'd free parked for the night, looking down and watching the Elephant seals below, when I realized there were foot prints on the pebbled beach below. It seemed impossible to get down, so I was debating what else might leave such marks or whether I should go looking for a possible path, when a tour guide and 4 clients arrived. 

The tour guide chatted to me then said he was taking the tourists below. "Oh good", I said "I'll watch where you go so I'll know." 
"Why don't you come too?", he offered. 

I jumped to my feet... Never offer me something if you don't want to give it!

I'm glad I went too, the path down was difficult, the one up, which involved pulling up on a cord, was even more tricky. It was great to get closer to the seals and to have a guide to point things out. 

I was gone a few hours. Meanwhile H was reading a book in the car and completely missed out. He's been book distracted a lot lately- the day before I went walking in Puerto Madryn and went to the Ecocentre without him. (I definitely recommend the Ecocentre if you ever pass the area).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!