Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Monday 7 October 2013

Where am I, and where are we heading?

I've realised that many of you mightn't know where I am, aside to say that I'm in Argentina. So I'm going to do my best to explain it.

I started my Overlanding in the camper vehicle of H almost 2 weeks ago from the Argentine city of Mendoza. Mendoza is a wine producing city in the foothills of the Andes. The Andes mountain range runs down the western side of South America, and in this part of the continent forms the boundary between Argentina and Chile. 

We are heading to Ushuaia. Ushuaia is almost at the bottom of South America, it's almost the end of the road, you can't drive much further south (but I imagine we might take the road as far as we can). From Mendoza, by the most direct route, it's 3234kms (according to the Firestone Atlas de Rutas 2012) to Ushuaia. But we won't be taking the most direct route!

We plan to cross into Chile, visit the Lakes District on both sides of the Argentina-Chile border, visit Puerto Valdes (on the East coast of Argentina) to see Orcas and more wildlife, cross the pampas (Argentina), stay on a farm perhaps, and just see as much as possible. It is quite the journey. We hope to be in Ushuaia for the overlanders Christmas party in December, which would be wonderful full time to catch up with people met and unmet. (So far we have met 2 other overlanding campers, passed one in a town, and saw 4 overlanding motorbikes (1 group, they were headed North)).

In the last 2 weeks we've come South as far as Las Lejas, which is 700-800kms South of Mendoza. From here we to cross into Chile, subject to the border crossing being open, which is subject to weather (snow and ice) conditions. We had hoped to cross further North, but couldn't. If we can't cross here we might decide to go East to the coast (Puerto Valdes) and then come back to the lakes later on. In overlanding there must be flexibility in the plan. 

Then, from Ushuaia, we turn around and head North.... Assuming we still like each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!