Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Thursday 24 October 2013

Whale watching in Argentina: an albino calf!

We arrived a few days ago in Peninsula Valdes, on the coast of Argentina. Immediately we set up camp on the beach area in town and wandered out further with our chairs and boxed wine to watch the whales in the bay. It was awesome. 

Two days later we arrived at a new bay to camp. The went for a walk on the hard clay-like surface that edged the sea. It provided a handy standing platform and dropped to deep sea just 3 metres below. 

As I stood watching a massive whale and her albino baby approached. About 10m from the edge, they turned and swam parallel with the mud wall. And we followed. It was a wonderful experience!

These are Southern Right Whales. They are bigger than the humpbacks commonly seen off the east coast if Australia, but not as big as Blue Whales.  

This morning I woke to see a Guanaco (like a llama) running down the beach. And then later I sat down on a bit of that mud wall just in time to look ahead and see a seal pop up in the sea just 4m in front of me!  

I'm loving this overlanding lifestyle. This is the type of thing I never got to do as a backpacker, and as a regular tourist time is too constrained. I'm very glad I chose to have a go at this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!