Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Sunday 27 October 2013

Biggest dolphins I've ever seen: Orcas (Killer Whales)

It's time to finally leave Peninsula Valdes, there isn't much more wildlife we can spot!

Yesterday we took a drive to the north point of the peninsula. The idea was to see Orcas (in English they are called Killer Whales, but they are dolphins, not whales). The star of the film Free Willy was one if these. 

So yesterday, at one point I left H reading in the vehicle and wandered to the beach. I saw seals (Elephant Seals it turns out), and headed towards them (not too close, I didn't want to scare them or me, they are massive). As I walked along the beach I turned in time to see the biggest dolphins I've ever seen traveling the other direction just in the water. I quickly took a photo. 

I wasn't sure if they were just big dolphins or Orcas, but later, when I read an information board about Orcas, I realized that might very well have been Orcas. And everyone I've shown the photo too seems to think they were Orcas. 

(I can't post the photo today, it's on my camera and since my ipad as nicked I can't easily upload my photos) 

We also saw rheas (like emu), manu's (strange thing, like a rabbit crossed with a deer, almost), armadillo (which means that we've now seen both types of armadillo available here), nesting Magellanic Penguins (at arms length too), elephant seals, sea lions, and the common Guanacos (like Llamas) and common Martineta birds (which are really funky looking ground running things). 

So, now we'll head south on the coast for a bit.... There's still another two types of dolphin to spot. 

But, before we leave... It's back to visit the fisherman: 1kg of scallops (on shell) for about $12, and although I'd never cooked them before I did really well and I'd like to do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!