Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 5 June 2013

European hospital tour

While I was in Peru (about 3 months), I had three accidents for which I had to go to hospital. Some of my friends at home joked about me doing a hospital tour of Peru. 

Well, I'm at in again. In Spain, I was encouraged by my fellow pilgrims to go to hospital for my knee, so I did. The treatment recommended was no different from what I was doing. For my second knee injury I went to a physiotherapist, and the treatment was worth going for. 

Now in Norway, I found myself yet again at the hospital, as I had diarrhoea for 2 days, and the stuff in my travel kit wasn't fixing me. I also decided to get the doc to take a look at my toe that I stubbed 3 days ago, as the pain has been quite severe. Frustratingly, every Norwegian I've needed to talk to so far has spoken good English, but not the doctor! He seemed to understand me well enough, but mostly talked at me in Norwegian. 

Anyway, they tested my blood, found nothing wrong but a slightly high temperature, and he told me to take Imodium, eat soup and cooked apples, and drink juices, soft drinks, and electrolytes (I've been paying attention to menus and grocery items, this helped me to understand)... And prescribed an antibiotic ointment for my toe, which the chemist explained in good English. 

All this is making my decision making very difficult. I came to Norway hoping to hike a little, even do a Glacier, but I have a very sore toe. I mostly rested the last 2 days (well, with 2 health complaints and cold rainy days there wasn't a lot of encouragement to do anything). My last sore toe (Peru, a dislocation) took 6 weeks to heal.  

Today, I feel quite well. I'm doing a sightseeing trip (Hardanger in a Nutshell) to see how capable I am. 

But really, Norway is an expensive place to be sitting around, and the weather isn't great. So if I need to rest, I probably need to go somewhere cheaper. But I hate sitting around, I want to be active, and all my options seem uninteresting. 

Btw, Norway and Australia have reciprocal health care agreements, but I still had to pay part, and it wasn't cheap (but not enough for the $100 minimum for my travel insurance excess.) The Norwegians in the queue said they also have to pay part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!