Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 8 June 2013

Am I Swedish or Norwegian?

An Indian on a boat trip in Norway started a conversation with me:
"Are you Swedish or Norwegian?"
It took me a moment before I realised he was talking to me. "Me?!, I'm Australian!"  

"Oh," he replied, "well you have scenery like this in New Zealand at Milford". 

I have met quite a few people in the world who think New Zealand is part of Australia, and I wondered if that was what he meant by saying I have this. But he qualified his remark: "I mean New Zealand is so close to Australia. I hear it's  like Pakistan and India". 

Clearly this guy hadn't studied a world map. It was too much for me, I remember watching the ceremonial closing of the border gates a few months ago at an India-Pakistani border. "No," I said, it's not, we don't share a border, it's about 3 hours flight for me, even Delhi is closer to Pakistan". 

"Oh, it's like USA and Canada."

Me: "well, India and Pakistan share a border, as do USA and Canada."

Later, talking to more tourists I understood his Milford remark a bit better. I haven't actually been there, but many people compare it to Norway. And it's less expensive to travel in NZ so he's wondering why I would be here if I didn't need a visa for NZ. Many Asians are traveling in Europe because they can do so without a visa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!