Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Crowd surfing on Mumbai trains

I might be traumatised by this. Certainly when I saw a crowded train the next day I said 'Louise, can you go without me?' , but then the women's compartment wasn't anywhere near full so I got in...

On Saturday when Louise and I were out sightseeing (Mumbai) we caught a busy suburban train. As is often the way here we had to push our way into the carriage as it really was full already.
But, being that it was full, I got in but not really very far in. At the next stop almost everybody is departing. Indian trains don't wait (I guess they can't, the Indians just keep coming so they'd never get away), so everybody rushes and pushes to get off. I'm in the middle, holding on up the top, trying desperately to hold my ground and not be forced off. It was scary. They keep coming like I'm not there and they can walk through me. My feet even come off the floor, but I'm still hanging on up top ! Somehow I managed to hold on and stay on the train.

Taxi's are cheap enough, unless I have company I don't think I will do another suburban train.

Mumbai, though, has been a nice experience. (5 nights, 1 in horrible cheap hotel, 4 with friends, 21-26 Feb).
Most interesting was the visit to the Dharavi slum... That's a lot of people and industry in one small area (I read different reports but its something like 175 hectares, over 1 million people). We went on a tour that gives back 80% of profits to a NGO. The polluted creek brought tears to my eyes. It smelt terrible and the water was a strange blue.

Notes: The tour was with Reality Tours. Lots of other operators pretend to be them, but when we couldn't find them we called them and booked directly. It was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!