Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Monday 14 January 2013

We liked Trichy!

On arrival in Trichy we quickly found suitable accommodation: much nicer than Madurai, bigger, cleaner, screened, and as we were sharing the price per person was actually even less than the previous. And, we liked it enough and the town and its people that we stayed 3 nights.
(Hotel Ashby, twin room, R660/ night)

(9 Jan)
We visited Rock Fort, it gave us tremendous 360 views of Trichy. We also enjoyed seeing the main shopping area, with all the women sari shopping.

(10 Jan)
We visited Sri Rangan' Temple (I am abbreviating) in Trichy. A guide (R280 total) showed us around. It's a lovely temple complex but nothing there really delighted me.
In the afternoon Louise and I went shopping for new shirts. I came to India with the intention of discarding some items and getting new. Even by buying an expensive brand it was cheap. ($13).

(11 Jan)
As we liked Trichy we booked the extra night and did a day trip to Tanjore. I have already written about the pilgrims wanting to take our photos at the temple.
We travelled there and back by general train. Now that I've done it I hope to never do it again. It was tight with people and on the return journey we were close to the really stinky toilets. I had to cover my face with cloth to avoid the smell.
From now on I choose the allocated seat, AC classes.
Aside from the temple Tanjore also has a palace which has one of the worlds only medieval libraries. The was a small but extremely interesting collection on display. Old papers and old texts. I really appreciated it. There was also museum of bronze cholas, which Louise likes but I found not so interesting.

(12 Jan)
Finally we left Trichy and in Chidambaram we have even better accommodation. And, all the honking of car horns is distant.
(Hotel Saradharam, twin R1100, incl breakfast).

We came here for the Nataraja Temple, dedicated to Shiva: lord of the dance. It's an impressive temple. To me it felt more holy than the others, and we got to see a ceremony. No photos were allowed, and I'm pleased as the taking if photos (by me and others) detracts from these places.
The ceremony was interesting but I don't believe I could possibly describe it - I just don't understand enough of Hinduism and all its many parts.

And this temple has turned me. Whereas this morning I was wondering why I wanted to travel in this country (okay the filth, rubbish, noise, all get to me a bit), this afternoon I found just a little bit of what others are coming here for.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting.




    Budget Hotels in Trichy

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice blog. More informative.Thanks for sharingBudget Hotels in Trichy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!