Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 4 January 2013

I thought it was over

It's interesting, the thoughts that go through your head in those brief moments when you think you are about to plummet to death. The thoughts afterwards are interesting too.

I am writing this from the budget Kuala Lumper airport having just arrived here.
About halfway through the 8 hour flight we hit an unexpected large pocket of turbulence, and the plane dropped massively, corrected a bit and dropped again, and again.

There were screams, gasps, and whimpers (I whimpered). Those not wearing seatbelts (I was, I do when seated) were flung into the air. The cabin crew hit the floor beside their trolleys and after a moment started yelling 'seatbelts!, Seatbelts!, SEATBELTS!'. The woman beside me had been an air hostess for a couple of large airlines and said she had never experienced anything even close to it and she too had thought we were going to die. And a hostess working the other side of the plane looked traumatized for the remainder of the flight. It was indeed scary.

I had some serious and some funny thoughts.
Last week I was at the Woodford Folk Festival and on two occasions I heard the famous and hilarious poem "Turbulence" by Murray Hartin (google it, you tube it, look for it, if you don't know it). Also, when we hit the turbulence I had been watching a rodeo movie (called Cowgirls n Angels) so I was in a rodeo mindset. So, with the words of "Turbulence" fresh in my mind, I looked for a swag to cling to (but there was none) and said "Buck you bastard buck!". Then I recalled that the brace position might be more appropriate so I tightened my seatbelt some more and got into it.

More seriously, I hoped that no one would be disappointed that I'd taken the flight because I was living the life I wanted to and, if I was to die, it was better than not trying to live the life I wanted. I hoped that those who I love knew that I did, and I know that I have never told them often enough.
When I realized I was probably going to survive I vowed to fix my will, and I started thinking I maybe should be spending more money (I'm known for my ability to save, not spend).

And so with those thoughts... I'm going to go and have the best meal I can find at the budget airport terminal... Just in case it's my last.
Cheers, and love to all my family and friends,
Ali.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!