Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Sunday 6 January 2013

First day in India

Arriving in the middle of the night India seemed remarkably calm. Even by day it seems to be chaotically busy, and yet be blanketed in a sense of calm.

Traffic goes everywhere, in all directions at the same time and at varying speeds, and yet it flows and each element moves around the others with a sense of calm, a bit like water flowing through a pebbly stream.
The women all seem to dress elegantly, the men do not.
Everybody has been most pleasant to me.

We started the day by going to get me a sim card for my phone. There was a lot of paperwork for a pre-paid card, and it still doesn't work but we are getting there.... we think. A friend at home had advised that BSNL would be best with moving from state to state, so that is what I have.

Then we went to Fort Cochin, checked out a modern art installation (I just don't get Modern art), saw the Chinese fishing nets (wow they are interesting), and then went to a Kathakali performance (despite being touristy, it's really worth going to).

I am staying with the a friend who lives in Australia and his family, so then we had a dinner at home with all my friends young cousins visiting to meet me. Most were shy and didn't talk to me. I was surprised to learn that all the paternal cousins had names starting with the letter F.

Modern Art at the Kochi-Muziris Biennae 2012. I liked this exhibit better than most.

Chinese Fishing nets worked on a cantilevered system.

The 15 rocks as weights for the Cantilever.

Kathakali make-up application.

Kathakali includes extreme eye movement and facial expressions.

So this has been a most pleasant start to my trip,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!