Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Philadelphia in the house of friends

Yay! I finally made it to the USA. My insurance got me a direct replacement flight on Saturday night and from the flight I went to directly to the train station and came to Philadelphia. It is such a relief to be here! Each of the 3 times I had been in Lima my departure had been delayed and I had got the idea that I might never escape. So finally making it here is a big relief.
   I am staying in the house of friends in Philadelphia. I met one of the guys in Colombia and now I know the rest of the house I am using the plural and saying that we are all friends. It's really nice to be here in this house, and nice to be in the USA, which isn't the same as home but feels so much more familiar.
   My friends tell me the Philly is the 5th biggest city in the USA. Yikes, I hadn't a clue prior to arriving. There is a lot to see here. A lot of it would be more interesting if you were an American tourist, because this is the heartland of the freedom, independence movement, and the constitution, and I'm not USA patriotic enough to get the most out of these museums. But I am impressed by the old buildings and tree lined streets and the neighbourhoods (another thing Philly is famous for). And I have always been impressed by American patriotism, which I feel is much stronger than Australian patriotism.
   Yesterday I went sightseeing and the places I most enjoyed were the Quaker buildings. Not for the buildings themselves, but I found myself really interested in the Quaker movement and bought a booklet to help me understand better. When I was told that Quakers refuse to put their hand on the bible in court and swear to tell the truth because this action implies that you needn't tell the truth the rest of the time, I understood completely, I have always thought the same.
   My friends and I finished the day by going to an awesome bar (decorated very grunge like with graffiti and dodgem cars to sit in), and then getting the famous Philly cheese steaks to finish off (apparently they are best eaten after drinking). Despite Mikes description of the Cheese steaks (which sounded terrible) I quite enjoyed it. Obviously, it's not gourmet cuisine, but more like what I used to get from the Shell servo in my home town after the towns only night club closed it's doors for the night. Definitely grub for after drinking.
   Today I am off to see the Art museum and the old goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!