Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 27 August 2010

Baltimore, the Charm city of crabbiness

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
18-21 August 2010

   Honestly, Baltimore is a pretty nice city, not charming and not crabby in attitude, but a pretty good place. They call themselves the Charm City, and tourists T-shirts everywhere say "I'm Crabby, Baltimore, USA" because the place is famous for crabs. And honestly, probably the best thing I did in Baltimore was eat steamed crabs with my couchsurfing host. The crabs are tasty, and the experience (you get to make a mess and use a hammer) nicely different.

Baltimore has the National Aquarium, and it's big and impressive, but I think at almost $30 admission they could let a few less people in so that maybe I could see the aquariums. It was way too crowded! But the jellyfish exhibit was extra cool and reminded that once upon a time I worked (just data entry) for a Sealife aquarium in Portsmith, England and they too had jellyfish (I think, they were actually the first public aquarium to raise jellyfish). I also experienced a 4D film at the aquarium, called "Pole to Pole", it subjected us to the elements.

The Peabody Library, is beautiful and the photo doesn't capture it. It smells like old books too.

You might have heard of the historic Lexington market. It has a lot of food stall, many old like this one, Faidleys. I had oysters at Faidleys.... They were big but the most flavourless oysters I have ever had, but I enjoyed having the time to take in the scene.

Notes ($US)
Bus Philly to Baltimore, Chinatown bus $15.
3 oysters and glass of wine in Lexington Market $9
Steamed Crab dinner with salad and glass of wine $36
Accommodation in Baltimore via Couchsurfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!