Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 14 February 2014

Stove top cake cooking! Chocolate cake!

H just turned 40. It was just the two of us, but I wanted to make it a bit special so I made him a double layered chocolate cake - on the Gas cooker!

Recently I learnt to make stove top pizza in a frying pan using SR (self raising) flour, salt and water for the base and regular toppings on top. It worked very well, in fact better than many bought pizzas. 

So then I got the idea of making a cake on the cooktop, in the frying pan. I do not have an oven. 

I like baking when I have a 'real' kitchen and my mum taught me some pretty good things about baking when I was a kid. If course, many of those things couldn't be done in this kitchen of limited facilities. So I used one handy piece of advice.... By making a layer cake you can hide and disguise any 'faults' your baking had. 

I assumed right from the start that this would need to be a layer cake - obviously it would be less than perfect. Also, by making 2 layers I could experiment a bit (my second cake turned out better). I simply used SR flour, egg, milk and drinking chocolate (I had it already, and it's easier to find than cocoa). To make 'an oven' I turned the wok upside down over the gas flame for a couple of minutes before I slipped the frying pan (with my cake mix) under the upside down wok. And it worked! 

Between the layers I sandwiched whipped cream and cherry jam (we were in a town famous for cherries) and on top I put this chocolate stuff that you get here, and 40 candles. 

Okay, it's possibly the worst cake I've ever made, but better than a bakery or supermarket bought cake. And most importantly, H loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!