Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 26 February 2014

An Australian Flag on the Carretera Austral

We were driving North on the Carretera Austral (a route famous for being rough and beautiful) and just a bit north of Rio Tranquilo I stopped the car when I saw 3 flags on poles: a French, a Chilean and an Australian. 

The sign above the open gate meant nothing to me, so I said to H "let's go in and find out why they have these flags up". "Okay", he replied. We figured the gate was open and there wasn't anything to lose. 

So we drove in. A woman appeared with a look that questioned why we had appeared. We were already out of the car and I pointed at the flags "Soy de Australia" I said in Spanish (I'm from Australia). 

Then she explained in good English that they weren't but they (her family: husband, herself and 4 kids) had spent last year in Brisbane Australia to all have a cultural experience and learn English. The kids all went to school and the Dad went to University. 

The small farm was a summer place for them and they in fact lived in Santiago and just visited the farm on and off, a few weeks at a time, in summer. The man who looked after the place in their absence was of French origin and he had erected the 3 flags as a gift to the family. (And they looked great.)

The family invited us in for a drink and the daughter (whose English was very good) showed me the horses and vegetable garden and suggested we stay the night. So we did (with the parents approval). 

In fact, they invited friends over for food and drinks and H made Belgian French Fries and there was a nice friendly party. 

In the morning they even loaded us up with fresh produce from the garden and green house (it's been difficult to get good produce in these parts so I liked this). Our impromptu stop was wonderful, and proves that it's a good idea to say hello and be curious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!