Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 15 February 2014

Hitchhiking Patagonia

I've only ever hitchhiked a few times... When my other options weren't so viable. But it seems that hitchhiking the Carretera Austral  in the Patagonia in Chile is a popular option. So popular that when we crossed the border from Los Antiguos to Chile Chico we were greeted by about 20 hitchhikers as we left Chile Chilo. 

We weren't going far, just 6km and then turning off to a camp spot, but H decided we could offer what we were doing. So we pulled up and 3 young Israelis joined us. They actually joined us to the camp spot and then again until their intersection the next day. 

They were nice young fellows, just a month into their travels and not yet jaded by their travels like the Israelis I had met when I backpacked Northern South America a few years back. One even said that the campsite was the most beautiful place he'd ever seen. 

The campsite was 11 kms from the main road at a place called Bahia Jara. It certainly was a specially pretty place. 

Our hitchhikers got lucky, especially as there were 3 of them, as they waited less than an hour. They said some of the people had been waiting 7 hours. 

I have mixed feelings about the hitchhikers. If they are Chilean or Argentine then I have no problems, but when a foreigner has spent so much on airfares to get here and then expects others to give them a free ride ... Well, part of me says it's a bit much. I kind of fell that they should buy a bus ticket. 

We certainly feel the weight difference when we add 3 men and heavy packs to the load, in fact H dumped some of our water in the morning to compensate. 

On the other hand I like giving a ride to the young people, of all nationalities, as I think seeing our travel style, our lifestyle, can be quite inspirational for them. I think that we can show people that this can be done, that if you like travel then here's an option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!