Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 13 April 2013

Importance of children.

The sign on the bus says:
10% of seat are reserved for below 14 years.
5% are reserved for senior citizens.
33% are reserved for ladies.

This is something that has surprised me about India since early on: the extreme importance of children.

I would say that manners in Australia dictate that an old lady be given top priority for any seat on transport, an old man next, then other ladies, then other men, and finally children should sit on their parents lap if small/young enough or give their seat to an old lady/gentleman if too old for a parents lap.

In visiting Indian friends who had a 2 year old child I was surprised when we went out to eat at a 'western style' organic market in a park. The child went off to play & climb trees which left his seat at the table vacant. Yet, when people asked if they could take (to another table) the vacant seat the parents refused to give it up as it was their son's seat. It was even refused when requested for an old lady.

I feel at home (Australia) the seat would have been given up and the child would sit on a parents lap. It just shows a cultural difference where children are prioritised over the elderly.

I'm proud of the way we do it, I hope we keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!