Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Monday 29 April 2013

Europe: the big walk

Having become wary of India I decided it was time to follow an ambition I've had for a while: to hike the Camino de Compostela.

So I did some searching and found a cheap flight to Madrid.

It turns out the the camino that everyone has heard about is way too popular, but all roads leading to Santiago de Compostela are Camino's de Compostela, so I've found another one to do.

It's called "Via de la Plata", and it runs 1000kms from Seville to Compostela. I am to allow at least 7 weeks to complete it.

So, a bit over a week ago I flew to Madrid. (Via Doha, Qatar, where I stopped for a look and to pass some time with an American friend I had become acquainted with in India). Then I passed some time there in Madrid, couch-surfing (Google it if you don't know), before I came to Seville.

I love Seville... So I've taken extra time here, but I'll start my hike tomorrow. Seville's beautiful, the food's great, and it feels nice to not be looked at constantly.

I'm packed and ready to go. I'm excited and a bit nervous. I seem to have way less stuff than others, but I think I've been reasonably generous (2 sets of clothes, and a pair of PJ's... PJ's are generous I'm sure). I don't have a sleeping bag, but I've read it's not necessary. I have a silk sleep sheet instead. I also have merino thermals to wear under my pjs if I'm cold.

I'm leaving my big pack here, so I get to return to Seville for it.

I actually haven't yet decided whether I will blog about the camino or not.
I plan not to be accessing Facebook or email for the entire time and my camera is only working 30% of the time, so I've decided to leave it out too.

So... No promises: I'll have to see what my mood is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!