Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 9 April 2010

Santa Semana in Peru

Huarmey, Peru
28 March - 5 April 2010

   There are 2 big annual events on the Latin American calendar each year… Carnival and Easter (Semana Santa). Throughout Latin America you will find various big fantastic events for both of these. I have celebrated carnival years ago in San Pedro, Belize (the Isla Bonita that Madonna sings about), and this year in Oruro, Bolivia. But despite all my time spent in Latin American countries, I still haven´t managed to experience one of their fantastic Semana Santa’s.

   This time, I didn´t plan anything on account of my bad sore toe (I would never have thought a toe could be as much bother as it has been). I waited that week in Lima, and I got offered some ‘work’ in Huarmey (4 hours North of Lima on the coast), writing the English language publicity for a new hostel that was opening and wanting to attract more backpackers, rather than Peruvians. And so, with sore toe, I went to Huarmey knowing that working in front of a computer would provide a useful distraction to celebrating Semana Santa.
   I can however be happy to know that I saw I real Peruvian Semana Santa. Huarmey is a place that Peruvians, mostly from Lima, go to for Easter … to be at the beach. Although about 50% of Peru is Catholic, most, in reality, don´t practice their religion. And, just like Australians, many head to the beach for Easter.
   I spent the first couple of days in Huarmey discovering what their was to do in the area. It was interesting, and I enjoyed having a project to work on. My hosts paid for pretty much everything (that was the deal), and really looked after me spectacularly well. I dug pretty deep to find out all their was to do in the area… I think even my hosts was surprised!
   All in all, it was a very enjoyable week. If you want to see my work (I created a website for the hostel) go to http://www.jaimecrazyperu.wordpress.com/ .


My hosts and me... Eusebio, me, Ana.

One of the Tuquillo beaches

Hundreds of these bright crabs were on the beach.. I was lucky to corner one for a photo.

Looking the opposite way from the beach... you see dunes.

My hosts bought fish fresh off the boats.

Princess Beach

I´m still drawn in by the houses made from reed mats.

Huarmey River in Huarmey valley.

Local veggie delivery.

A piggery.

We paid a visit to Ana´s mum at the cemetary. Despite being catholic, they don´t do many cremations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!