Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 22 March 2014

Salmon and Mussell industry in Chile

H and I have been most impressed with the salmon and mussel industry in northern Patagonia,  in terms of production size it's most impressive. Along the inner coast of Chiloe, and the mainland coast opposite it, there are facility after facility for the production of salmon and mussels.

In these photos you can see the salmon is produced in pens,  and the mussels with rope nets (I think, seems to be) attached to floats. A local told us that if you leave a rope in the water off this coastline for 6 months,  you will pull it up covered with mussels a good size for eating. We saw trucks being loaded with 20 tonnes of mussels a a time!
Unfortunately,  we didn't come across any museums that explained the salmon or the mussel industries,  and I think it could be very interesting.

Chiloe, also has a famous meal of mussels and other shellfish and chicken and pork, all cooked in a pit with hot stones (an interesting Polynesian influence), and there's a picture here of me with it,  it's called Curanto. It was very yummy!, but I didn't quite manage to eat it all, neither did H (which proves how big it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!