Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 15 October 2010

Murder on the dance floor

   My feet are killing me! I bought my new shoes from a place that makes their shoes and said that I coud get the heel shortened 1cm, so I did. It´s better but they are still killing me. You must understand that I have spent the last 10 months in comfortable shoes.... hiking sandles, hiking boots, and recently I traded the sandals for Crocs.... which are just heaven after wearing the heels.

   Yesterday I had my first private dance class. It was brilliant! I had taken two group classes with this teacher. The first week his assistant taught me and I didn´t get to dance with him. This week, in the group class, I did get a dance with him. After the class he asked me about my previous Tango experience, and was impressed how little I had (considering my progress) and said that he would like me as his private student so that he could brag about me. Maybe he says this to all his students, but it pleased me a bunch anyway!
   Actually, I follow a lead well and so I don't so much learn the new dance style (Tango) as learn the basic steps and to feel the new style and then a good dancer can lead me around fairly easily. At the end of this one private class the teacher has invited me to come out with him and his dancing friends on Friday night and now my head is really swollen, as I feel like I really have made an impression.
   Many people think that the Tango is just for the tourists and even some Argentines have told me this. But it clearly isn't. I have only been to one touristy Milonga and I didn't like it. Bueanos Aires is crammed full of dance halls which have something on every night. Mostly it seems to be the older Argentines attending many of these events... actually, at 35 years, it seems I am the prefect age to be learning and entering the scene. At 3am, I was tired and went back to the hostel, leaving an old crowd dancing on into the morning.

I loved seeing this ... BA is a gay friendly city and there are queer dance classes available. These guys actually danced with female partners, then they did this one piece for fun.

Notes
Private classes taken with Alberto Catala, his partner is Belen Montell. www.albertoybelen.com.ar . Ph 4784-9517 / 154-199-2219 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!