Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Monday 21 June 2010

Staying a while in the Amazon

Iquitos, Amazon Jungle, Peru
Now

   Last time I was in the Amazon (in Bolivia) I liked it so much I wanted to stay, but I had no reason to and I wasn't ready to stop and my Bolivia Visa (already extended) was going to expire. This time, in Iquitos (Peru), I found a reason to stay.
   I fell in love on my very first day in Iquitos, and decided to see if I could stick around. That first afternoon, while other tourists were watching the FIFA World Cup, I went out to a Manatee rescue project for a look. I found it very interesting, the staff very nice, and I immediately asked if they would like a volunteer. I was given an email address for the boss.
   I wrote to the boss that same afternoon. I was able to put in that I actually wrote an essay about Dugongs whilst at University a year ago (I did 6 months of University (B Sc) before deciding I'd rather be travelling). It might have helped.
   But what they seem to be finding is more of a help from me is my Marketing experience. I'm good at making money, and they need this more than another Biologist. They need to educate the locals to stop killing the Manatees and this educating them takes money and resources.
   This was my first week and I also got to attend a workshop to make an action plan to save the Manatees and River Dolphins. I actually got to have my say on what needs to be done, and they thanked me for my valuable input.
  

Can you see why I fell in love? This is Victoria.

The 3 in this area get hand fed by tourists.... bottled milk, aquatic plants, and bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!