Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Sunday 21 March 2010

Stalker in Arequipa, Peru


12-16 March, 2010
Areqipa, Peru.

Arequipa is a beautiful city. The main plaza´s beauty struck me the moment I saw it,  and on clear days (it wasn´t when I arrived) you can also see that it has a back drop of beautiful mountains. Also, having been in the highlands, I was enjoying having oxygen again!

On arrival, I immediately set about finding a 2 day hike tour in Colca Canyon. When I walked down the street, a Peruvian man stopped me to talk. "What was I looking for?" He asked... "Nothing", I said, "just passing time". "Oh". Then he came too. I dismissed him by saying I wanted to find a tour. He left me be! Then I booked the tour, and stepped out of the tour office to find him again. "Let´s go have a drink", he offered. "No, actually I have 1 hour to visit the monastry", I replied. "Ok" he said, and followed me to the monastery. I paid and went in, he didn´t. Released again! After the monastery I dawdled in and out of shops in the direction of the plaza, one block and he was there again! I agreed to his company over dinner, nothing more, I was going on a trekking tour at 3am in the morning!.

I returned from the trek 2days later, went out with the tour group for drinks and who should turn up but the same guy, surely my stalker! But I stuck with the group. (Another story).

He (Ricardo) said he was from Lima, but I actually think I won´t run into him there.... I think he´s a tourist hassler. For what reason I mightn´t need to know.


The Monastery in Arequipa is a village inside a city, it had everything. The nuns lived here in a vow of seclusion, now there aren´t so many and they occupy just a small section in the back corner. This is the laundry.

The monastery is beautiful and interesting, but I wouldn´t stay there, even to avoid my stalker!


Fried Guinea pig.... tastes good! and a glass of Chicha Morena, made from corn.

I think that´s Misti volcano overlooking Arequipa.


The cathedral of Arequipa. Stunning, and beside a stunning plaza.


Can´t stomach guinea pig? How about some sheep´s head?


Notes
Accommodation in Arequipa:Los Andes B & B $8 private room, shared bath, breakfast included.
Monastery entry $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!