Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Lazy days in Coroico, Bolivia

19-24 February 2010
Even though I had caught a head cold, I figured it was time to get out of Oruro. I had been there a week! So I took a bus to La Paz, a little micro bus across town to the place of departures to Coroico, and, in the rain, with my runny nose, got to walk to find transport to Coroico. I found a collective Taxi (this means you share it with other people), and away we went. Even in the rain it was a spectacular drive.
My hotel was lovely, expensive by Bolivian standards, but I didn´t mind. (5 nights with breakfast and most meals cost a little over $100). The food was quite good too.
People love Coroico, but if I wasn´t feeling the effects of my runny nose I would have been bored. I did manage a hike to waterfalls with other guests. They were nothing to rave about, but pleasant.
Avoiding night buses, I left Coroico in another collective Taxi to Caranavi, then waited 2 hours for another to Yacumo.
We arrived in the town of Yacumo at about 10pm. It was like a wild west scene, Bolivian style. I was intrigued, and not ready for another taxi ride, I stayed the night. I ate beef and rice in the street (one can´t be too picky in the wild wild west of Bolivia), and went to bed in the cheapest hotel of my whole stay. (I rejected a more expensive place due to the door not locking on the room).
I the morning I waited another 1.5 hours for another Taxi to Rurrenbaque. I arrived in the rain, and jumped on a MotoTaxi, pack and all to a sweet hotel.
Now I am looking for jungle tours.
And guess what? I am in the Amazon!

 

  
Around Coroico. 

  
Coca leaves growing on steep slopes. The general population chews a lot of coca in Bolivia. It´s also used in the production of Cocaine, and is used in Coca-cola (de-actived from potency now). 

  
Sea-saw at the fork in the road.

  
Cute! House in Yacumo. 

  More typical housing in Yacumo, 3 styles on display... in the far left of the photo you can see the shower in the front yard.

 
The shopping part of Yacumo.

Notes¨
Accommodation: Coroico, Hotel Esmeralda $13 per night, private room, shared bath, buffet breakfast included. *** I didn´t feel like I could trust management for some reason. And I wished they would keep the toilet paper supply up to the rate of usage!
Yacumo, Hotel Tropical $3 per night. Nothing included. **** Go to bed to the sounds of fireworks, frogs, and insects, Wake to the sounds of Roosters and cows.
Transport, Collective Taxi´s: La Paz to Coroico $3.75 (3 hours); Coroico to Caranavi $3.75 (2 hours); Caranavi to Yacumo (6 hours) $9; Yacumo to Rurenbaque (2hours) $6.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ali
    Your photos are fabulous. I love the butterfly (wow!). Just thinking of you and hope you're fine. Best wishes, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!