Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Wednesday 17 March 2010

Impressions of Bolivia

   After 2.5 months I finally left Bolivia, but there is still more there that I want to visit but couldn´t because of the flood waters. By most travellers standards, I did spend a long time there. Bolivia is cheap, I liked it a lot, and I took my time because I planned to be there for carnival.   Here are a few general things, impressions, I thought I would share about Bolivia.

   Firstly, it seemed to me that the women do most the work, and mostly even Bolivians seemed to agree with this. I didn´t like it.
   Then on top of them doing most the work, the men never give them a hand. A woman might be carrying a heavy load, struggling to get it and herself onto a bus, but no one will help unless it is to their benefit (like she is in their way, so they help to get her moving). Even as a blonde traveller who received numerous requests for my hand in marriage (!) I didn´t get assistance with my pack, ever.
   Skirts, big skirts, don´t stop a woman doing anything! Wow, I saw professional wrestling by women in skirts, they run, hurdle over street barricades, shepherd, dig fields.... anything!, skirts didn´t seem to hinder them in activities in which western women would say "Give me a moment, I´ll just switch into something more practical".
   Yogurt, apparently, doesn´t need refrigeration!
   Bolivia has the lowest GDP of any South American Country, but they do miss a lot of opportunity to make money. Order a meal and they never ask if you´d like a drink, and they never come back to the table to ask if you´d like anything else (another drink, desert). Hotels rarely suggested things to do in town, those that did were foreign owned.
   Another thing that bothered me was that 4 major tourist towns I visited didn´t have ATM´s (to withdraw cash from your card) suitable for foreign cards (there was a machine for local cards). Instead you could get money by waiting at a bank, with passport and photocopies of it, and pay 5% commision. This makes most tourists very careful about their spending, trying to budget and limit their stay to the cash they have. I really think that it´s very likely that corruption is keeping these towns from having an ATM.
   My favourite place in Bolivia? It´s a tough call between Samaipata, for the natural beauty, and Rurrenbaque, for the edge of the jungle vibe.
   And I definately recommend Carnival in Oruro to everyone!

I averaged about $USD220 per week in Bolivia. I ate well, did tours and even took a flight.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!