Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 9 January 2010

New Years Eve in Potosi

30 December, 2009 - 1 January 2010
   Potosí is the highest city in the world (4090m), and it is said that once upon a time it was more successful and populated than London or Paris. The mines (silver) which gave it this wealth also killed about 8 million people.
    The history of Potosí is certainly interesting, but the city didn´t do a lot for me. I survived the altitude, but no doubt it affected me. I only took 2 photos there and they weren´t good. And I didn´t much enjoy the place. The main attraction is to go into a silver mine, through small shafts and tunnels, breathing toxic fumes, to visit the miners. I have definate anxiety about man made tunnels and slight claustraphobia ... so I didn´t waste my money. Even to this day the miners live short lives, if they don´t die in a mining accident, they die at about age 40, from the damage to their lungs.
   I did spend NYE in Potosí, but nothing really happened there. I chatted to people at the hostel until 11.45pm, then hit the street to find some activity, but there was only the odd fireworks to be found, nothing big. I was accompanied by a Black african guy, resident in Brazil, in Potosí to join their Soccer team.
   On NYE the hostel lost my laundry, and so I had a cold time as well. They eventually took me to the laundry the next day so that I could find my clothes, and I got them back eventually, even if they were still wet.

Notes:
Accomodation: Casona Hostel. * $5.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!