Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Thursday 23 December 2010

What was the best of South America?

   People keep asking me questions, relating to this year of travel, like "What was my best experience?", "What was my favourite place?", "Where would I go back to?" and "Where, of the places I visited, would I most like to live?". These are difficult questions to answer, but here is an answer to these questions. Oh, and there is also not so difficult questions, like "Was Colombia really scary and dangerous?".

   Firstly, my best experience. Can I have three bests? I think my best experience of the year was the Galapagos Islands. It was simply marvellous. Firstly, because without being a naturalist, I felt that I could see what Charles Darwin saw - the evolution of the species was clearly different from island to island. Secondly for the beauty of it, check out my photo's from my pages relating to the Galapagos Islands and you will see the vibrancy of the colours, and I am not a brilliant photographer and nor do I have an expensive camera. And lastly, for the animals lack of care that we were there and the young sea lions jumping in to actually swim with us each and every time we went snorkelling. For more, see
      As Ali sees it: Galapagos Islands Misc photos
      As Ali sees it: Galapagos Islands Iguanas
      As Ali sees it: Galapagos Islands Landscape photos
      As Ali sees it: Tortoises in the Galapagos Islands
      As Ali sees it: Sea Lions in the Galapagos Islands
      As Ali sees it: Galapagos Islands! - this one was my most exciting experience of the year!
      As Ali sees it: Galapagos Island notes
   Another 'best experience' was definitely the Carnival in Oruro Bolivia. It's massive! 50,000 dancer, 6000 musicians ..... wow! What a show! Get yourself organised a few months in advance to go and check this out.
      As Ali sees it: Fighting for Life in Oruro's Carnival in Bolivia
   And another, was catching a river boat, 3 nights, up the Amazon River from the Colombian border town of Leticia to Iquitos in the Peruvian Amazon. Lazing in a hammock whilst taking in the magnitude of the river, and observing the local communities on the way up... Wow!
      As Ali sees it: Rain on the Amazon River (continued)
      As Ali sees it: Amazon River Life
    My favourite place. Oh this is a tough question. Favourite for what? Well, perhaps it might be Samaipata in Bolivia. I loved the Guided treks into Amboro National Park, I loved the little town, the Dutch run gardens and cafe "La Vispera" just outside of town, and I also had great company there with Kris from Belgium and Zoe from Holland. Samaipata isn't large on the tourist circuit, but other tourists I have met who also ventured also gave it a special mention.
      As Ali sees it: When she leaves the church, the town has a party!
      As Ali sees it: A bit longer than expected in Samaipata.
   Where would I like to go back to? Well I would definitely go back to the Galapagos, there are still more parts to be explored there, but it already had a mention. So my vote on this one goes to Estancia Panagea (Estancia = Ranch = Station) in Uruguay. I really loved my 5 days there. After so much horse riding I could barely walk, but I loved it anyway. In fact, if I could just find me a Uruguayan rancher, that could be my happily ever after.
      As Ali sees it: Childhood memories come alive in Uruguay´s Panagea...
   Where, of the places I visited, would I most like to live? Ok, so the Ranch in Uruguay did get a mention, but more than that, I really liked the chilled vibe of Rurrenbaque in the Bolivian Amazon Jungle. I reckon there's opportunity there, so maybe I could move back there one day and take up that opportunity.  
      As Ali sees it: Animals in the know! Madidi Travel tour, Rurrenbaq...
   Ok, so was Colombia dangerous and scary? NO! Colombia was, in fact, on of the easiest countries I did all year. There was that route I shouldn't have taken, but if I had of followed guide book advice I would have gone the other way and I would have one less interesting story to tell. Do not be scared to go to Colombia!
   Of course, I haven't finished with South America yet, if I look at the map it seems I have barely scratched the surface. Maybe what I will find in Brazil and Southern Argentina and Southern Chile will surpass all of these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!