Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Friday 20 September 2013

Fast ride to the airport; better than a fun park

In my experience of Latin America you don't need to tell the taxi driver to hurry to get you to the airport; he's going to rush regardless. And it's seat clenching good fun!

Really, I could have saved some money and taken the bus (40c), but I missed the bus stop without my pack this morning and I didn't really want the hike either. So I grabbed a taxi. I had hoped my friend's price estimate ( $3.50) was right, but in reality I paid double. But still, $7 is less than people pay back home to go on a ride in sideshow alley at the show.... And this certainly was more hair-raising. The latino taxi drivers ability to weave through traffic is always amazing. 
Such was this guys skill that now I'm sitting bored at the airport.

(All prices estimated in $US traded with a man called an Arbolito (=a little tree) in the street, which I might write about when I understand it better).

Flying in Argentina

Flying in Latin America is well distinguished by the actions of the other passengers: on take off there's a Catholic crossing of the heart and a prayer on the lips, and on landing there is usually a round of applause. The whole experience can make you feel glad to be alive. 

But Flying domestically in Argentina is different again. Having become accustomed to having my water taken from me for flights elsewhere in the world I sculled mine prior to the security screening. Imagine my surprise to find that not only was water allowed onboard, but other passengers had thermos flasks of hot water, to accompany their Yerba matè which sat on the tray tables for most of the flight. (Matè is a popular drink in Argentina. People carry special cups and straws, and the ingredients. An infusion is made by putting dried chopped 'Yerba matè' into a cup and continually adding hot water as you drink. I quite like it as a social drink.) here's a picture (not great, I know) of some soccer players drinking matè in he airport prior to flying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!