Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Whale watching in Uruguay

Punta Del Este, Uruguay
19-22 October 2010

   I´m not going south of Buenos Aires and I don´t have a visa for Brazil, so the coast of Uruguay was my only chance to visit some of the east coast of South America. For this excursion I chose Punta Del Este. I passed 3 nights in a hostel there and I really enjoyed it. Punta Del Este is famous for being over crowded in the summer, but while I was there (Spring) the place was practically empty. I found nice beaches, enjoyed the sunset over the ocean, and saw sealions and even a whale!
   I didn´t get a photo of the whale, as I was on a bus at the time. So you will just have to believe me when I tell you it was just (approx) 20 metres from the shore. It was a cool score for this late in the season.

Uruguayan Artist Carlos Paez Vilaró created this fanciful on the house at Punta Del Este. It is open to the public (fee payable), in a video about his life he apologizes to architects.

From Punta Del Este I was able to watch the sun set over the ocean from the 
Eastern Coast of South America.

I like hands, and this piece of artwork (it´s big) grabbed my attention. 
It is called El Mano (the hand).

This is one whopping great big sealion. 
A moment later it snatched the bait and jumped back into the water.

 The fishman weren´t bothered by the sealions antics, they clearly saw them every day. 
Some fisherman used the sealions as a way to get the attention of cute young ladies.

The Fishermans Tackle... baited and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!