Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 13 November 2010

Paraguay shortcut

   Paraguay isn't on most peoples list of countries to visit. I would
say that it doesn't have much of an international reputation for
anything at all and Lonely Planet South America makes it sound pretty
dull. But I decided to go anyway.
   For one, I wanted to get from Puerto Iguazu to the other northern
part of Argentina and it looked like a handy shortcut. And secondly,
when I told the Uruguayan estancia owner (Panagea) that I one day want
to own a small farm he told me I should take a look at Paraguay as he
thought it had a lot of unacknowledged potential. (In reality, I would
be quite happy to have the farm in Australia as I still firmly believe
I come from a very fortunate part of our planet.)
   So I headed to the Paraguayan Consulate in Puertu Iguazu to get a
visa (Australians need a visa for Paraguay but aren't difficult about
it like Brazil). Unfortunately I was to discover that the consulate in
Puerto Iguazu doesn't issue visas and I would have to return to
Posadas to apply for the visa.
   This very much ruined my shortcut, but I decided to still get my
visa and go across Paraguay. So I headed to Posadas.
Posadas isn't a bad place to have to go to get a visa. It is a
pleasant city with a nice riverwalk.
   Crossing the bridge from Argentina to Paraguay the girl on the
Argentina side of immigration processes our passports but forgot to
stamp them. So on arrival at the Paraguay immigration, across the
bridge, we were told to go back. We eventually got it sorted and were
allowed into Paraguay.
   We spent one night in Encarnation and one night in Asuncion
(capital of Paraguay) and then left. We visited the Jesuit ruins and
walked the capital, but Paraguay didn't seem to have much reason to
stay longer. Although, had I crossed from Puerto Iguazu I would have
liked to seen the big dam (2nd in the world).
   Then, to further ruin my shortcut, we couldn't find any buses
across the top of Argentina to Salta and we had to go south to
Resistencia where we arrived to find the buses to Salta sold out for
the next day.
   I am actually not disappointed that I went through Paraguay, but I
am disappointed that I missed seeing any of the Pampas scenery of
Northern Argentina. The bus we ended up being able to get was a night
bus, I really hate night buses.
   All in all, Puerto Iguazu to Salta was a disappointment. But at
least I did get to admire the Paraguayan farming land... I thought
Uruguay was better.

If I understand correctly, the river is flooded due to the building of a dam.
I guess they left some buildings in the way. This is in Posadas (Argentina).

Argentinians and Uruguayan wander around with a thermos under the arm 
and a mate cup in the hand. Paraguayans have their own cold version
with a highly decorated cooler flask with the cup holder on its side.



The Jesuit ruins near Encarnation are pretty, but come with no information.

Farming country in Paraguay.

Beware of the streets in Asuncion. 
Locals laughed at me taking photos of their streets.

 Squatters live in a central Asuncion Plaza, whereas in most cities they remove them.

 Looking towards the river in Asuncion, 
you can see it suffers quite a bit from poverty.

Notes
Accomodation: Encarnation, Hotel Germano... opposite the bus terminal, really clean, freindly owner and convenient. If you want to see the Jesuit Ruins, stay here and head out... you only need the afternoon.
Asuncion: Hotel Maria. Good location, clean, I would stay there again.

2 comments:

  1. I heard paraguay is the most corrupt country in the world... big call I know. i also heard Ciudad del Este has the most contraband movement in the world, being on the tri-border.
    besos
    tristan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!