Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Thursday 11 February 2010

Santa Cruz, Bolivia

21 January - 24 January 2010

   There really wasn't a lot of reason to stay 3 nights in Santa Cruz. There isn't a lot to keep a tourist busy, but I kind of liked the city. It showed signs of wealth that I hadn't really seen in other parts of Bolivia, and although I have no need or want of brand name shopping, it intrigued me to see such an array of expensive brands available. But aside from that I also particularly liked the hostel, it had a pleasant tropical courtyard garden with hammocks, and, best of all, a pet Tucan.
   The Tucans name was Simon. I hadn't been reading in a hammock for long before Simon, just 6 months old and full of curiousity, jumped onto my chest. I thought he was friendly, but I soon dicovered he wasn't so interested in me as the pearls and beads on my necklace. He tried to steel them from me. This would happen anytime I didn't tuck them under my shirt and by the third day he had figured out that the black cord around my neck was attached to the glossy round things and he could pull them out by pulling on the black cord.
   I also visited the Zoo, and found it quite enjoyable. Now, of course, the standard isn't up to Australia Zoo's, but it was pretty good. I learnt than Condors are massive! (and I wished they weren't caged). Most exciting were the sloths that seemed to be allowed to roam freely.... I guess that if you spot a sloth getting too close to the exterior fence, you just pick it up and take it back to the center of things (Frustrating for the sloth I bet!). I actually saw zoo visitors pick them up, which surprised me.
   I left Santa Cruz on the Saturday, headed to the town of Samaipata, with 3 Isrealis, 1 Brazialian and 1 Belgian.

One of the sloths that freely roam the zoo.... slowly. It wasn´t hard to snap a photo!

Simon, now I know you might think one should take the cigarette butts off him, but I tried to take a loose bead from him the day before and he swallowed it to not lose it to me. Tucan beaks don´t seem too useful and he gives up on pulling apart the butts after a while.

Notes
Accommodation: Residencial Bolivar $6 per night, inc good breakfast ****
Dinner at popular restaurant for typical Bolivian fare: Casa de Camba $6 *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!