Wanna know more?

Do want me to tell some past travel stories or have you got some questions that need answering? Then let me know!

Saturday 22 January 2011

No to Australia Day Fireworks!

   Well, I have spent the better part of my week pushing mud and muddy water in the clean up from the massive Queensland Floods. There really is nothing interesting to report about this, aside from my finding a prawn (shrimp) in a shed in Rocklea (a suburb of Brisbane, badly affected be the floods).

   Today I want to mention the current appeal for people to say no to Australia Day (January 26) Fireworks, with the money instead being spent on the Flood Recovery effort. There is a causes page on Facebook that you can sign up onto... they already have almost reached their target of 50,000 people.
   Basically the gist is that Fireworks are expensive and unnecessary and we have things that need rebuilding now, so let's put the money towards that.  But I also support this cause for environmental reasons.
   Call me a wet blanket if you must, but I'm tired of seeing fireworks at almost every public event. It seemed that they were all the more exciting when they were on just twice a year, and tell a kid these days "Hey look, Fireworks!" and they give you a look like "Well, so, same as every other event this year...".
   Fireworks are bad for the environment, do some research and you will quickly see that they are toxic. And if they are terrifying for dogs (an animal used to our (humans) selfish stupidity), then imagine what it must be like for the other small animals that live amongst us.... Possums, squirrels...
   So, for me I'd like to see Fireworks at an occasional event throughout the year, and the rest of the year, let's find some other entertainment.

If you'd like to support the Facebook cause:

STOP Australia Day fire works, GIVE that money to QLD!

just do a Facebook search for it and I'm sure you will find it as I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question, I'd love to hear from you!